Saturday, June 17, 2006

In Which I Pick up the Mantle of Feminist Police Yet Again

There's a lot about Ms. Healey's recent post that deserves applause - but at the moment I'd like to call attention to this part:

The patriarchy (or patriarchies) is not a conspiracy. It doesn't have to be. It is an insidious creator of and creation of culture and the ideal of male domination is so deeply embedded in the collective consciousness of humanity that it is occasionally difficult to recognise its slimy appendages.
Because it can't be repeated enough, let's have that again:
The patriarchy (or patriarchies) is not a conspiracy. It doesn't have to be.
Why did I pick this part out? Because I'm getting really annoyed with the latest reincarnation of "I'm not a feminist, but...":
I'm not one of those feminists who believe in a vast patriarchal conspiracy, but....
Sweeties - that's like saying "I shave my legs, but..." or "I don't burn my bras, but..."

All of these statements set up a false dichotomy which undermines the feminist goal you are supposedly professing support for. If you feel clarity is needed, it's best left to the end. Otherwise your "clarification" is really just a concession that weakens your argument and insults those of us that actually understand what "the patriarchy" means.

psst - thanks for the links Karen

No comments: