Saturday, September 08, 2007

Double Standards

I have just one thing to say about this (hit tip Tart):

Well, of course it's ok for her too look sexy when she's peddling* something for some (male run) company, but how dare she do so just because she wants to. That's being rude and crude and inappropriate, donthca know? Just one small step away from being manipulative and abusing men with her feminine wiles.





*by the by, Hooters - and the Angels - have incurred my everlasting ire for having a continuous promotion at the supposedly family friendly Angel's ballpark.

My main issue with places like Hooters is the lopsidedness of it and the imbalance of power they therefore help to promote. (And I suspect maintain within the company.) But even if that weren't the case, I don't really think Hooters should be advertising at family events any more than Chippendale's should. Hooter's "girls" may not take their clothes off, but commodification of someone else's sex appeal is still the foundation of the business. I don't think that's something we should promote to kids any more than alcohol and cigarettes are.

Plus, I really don't like anyone that has ever encouraged my father to say the word "hooters" in my presence. Or caused me to wonder how many family members I would alienate if I refused to join in on taking advantage of Hooter's celebratory promotion.

No comments: