I have decided that:
1) The final scene with the Kraken is a total shout-out to the Sarlacc - for obvious reasons
2) It's very sad that so few people have read or even seen Treaure Island - as evidenced by the occasional person admitting that they didn't get the whole black mark thing at first.
3) Luke is going to get the girl this time - or heads will roll!
4) All those critics are going to eat it in another ten years, just like they did with Empire. I'm just not sure how much crow they'll have to eat.
5) The whole cannibals storyline was only slightly less offensive than Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
6) This series will have (very tiny) spoilers for Pirate's 3 inasmuch as it seems to be about how Jack became a pirate and how he first heard about the Aztec gold.
7) Elizabeth is not sad at the end of the movie because she thought she made the wrong choice (or decided she loved Jack more), she didn't tie Jack up to save herself, and she has so remained true to character. She has always been fascinated by pirates and has always been one at heart plus one of the first lines in the first movie is when her father tells her to watch over Will; every choice she's made in the movies has been made with that goal in mind.
8) All the people who are confused about Elizabeth's actions need to read House of Mirth and A Doll's House. In other words, Elizabeth is not confused about who she loves, but what she wants - not the same thing. She's also quite willing to sacrifice herself and her honor for the people she loves. She sacrificed Jack and her honor for Will's life, and now she's expects to have to sacrifice her hopes and Will's love for Jack's life.
9) The whole water wheel thing was a bit much. Not because it was too long, but because it was really hard to follow. Maybe repeated viewing will help. (checks gift card for Krikorian)
10) "Where's the rum?" = "I have a bad feeling about this."
11) "Savvy?" = "May the force be with you."
12) Do you know how I know Luke's going to get the girl this time? Because Jack and Elizabeth didn't kiss during the whole "my hands are dirty" scene. At the very least the writers would have given us more time to adjust.
13) Besides - Jack settling on one woman? Please.
14) Ok, well, considering #8, Will might not get the girl either. I might be ok with that. But I don't think most of America would be, so he probably is. Going to get her, I mean.
15) When we first see everyone in Pirates 3 one or more of the characters will be in disguise.
16) Davy Jones will ultimately help to break the East India Company's hold over the Kraken.
17) I am a freakin' idiot because it took me this long to realize that Pintel and Ragetti are R2-D2 and C-3PO
18) Jack became a pirate because he had a bad run in with the East India Company. (yeah, I know they already gave that one away)
19) Will will be much more interesting in the final chapter - or I'm going to be very mad.
20) Pirates 3 will be absolutely fantastic! (knock on wood)
Sunday, July 09, 2006
I have decided that:
Posted by Mickle at 10:55 PM