Saturday, January 07, 2006

Introduction

(In Which the Blogger Introduces Herself and Imparts to Her Readers Some of What They May Expect in the Future)

I currently work in the children's section of a major big box bookstore (which I will not name here, but which you will likely figure out eventually - if anyone ever reads this, that is).

I enjoy what I do - most of the time.

My co-workers are (for the most part) great. Plus, I love books. I love listening to kids go on and one about the same stories that I adored when I was their age. Helping parents find books for their children makes me feel useful - it turns my ordinary retail job into something with a purpose. Nothing, and mean nothing, beats a parent coming back and letting me know that their reluctant reader devoured the book I suggested.

Of, course, kids being kids, they can be loud, obnoxious, annoying, and destructive - and their parents can be even worse. In fact, customers in general can be quite annoying. And every once in a while I want to growl at my co-workers too. And, needless to say, it doesn't pay enough and the company doesn't really value its workers nearly as much as it likes to think it does.

This blog will be all about that. All about the books I love (and even the ones I hate). All about the customers - good and bad. All about the silly rules that every retail chain has, and how my friends at work and I conspire to work around them every day.

No comments: