Saturday, March 11, 2006

Some Thoughts on Chivalry

Andrea has it right.

For evidence I submit my one of my co-workers, who pulled a chair out for me today, calls me "lady" (which I hate, btw) and, according to others, always opens doors.

I've also had to repeatedly tell him to stop ordering me to smile. (And I can tell he still doesn't get it, he just too scared of pissing me off.) He's so freakin oblivious that he started to push the chair in for me - before I started sitting down.

He also came into to work an hour late earlier this week, on the day our district supervisor came to visit, and responded to her question with "Yes'm" in front of our store manager.

We do not live in Oklahoma.

Gee, I can't fathom why he doesn't get the hours he requests.

(He is, of course, not the only one who holds doors open for others. Since we are often going through doors that require codes with stacks of books or huge carts, everyone holds doors open for each other. Even I do it, and I'm generally so lost in my own thoughts half the time it's a wonder I notice the customers. But, of course, he's being "gentlemanly" while my female co-workers don't even get "nice" points for doing the same.)

No comments: