Thursday, April 27, 2006

Please Explain

I'm watching the newest adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and I'm wondering, if....

the Bennets live in Hertfordshire,
Lady Catherine lives in Kent,
and Darcy lives in Derbyshire....

then what the hell are Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy doing at Stourhead?

I mean, I get that movies are really shot in all kinds of places - Stourhead just seems a little, I dunno...recognizable...to me. Rather like saying you're not in San Francisco, even though you go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Yes, there's a lot of people that won't recognize it, but it's a fairly distinctive looking place, so the people that do, really recognize it.

2 comments:

sassymonkey said...

There are pitfalls when people don't recognize the location though. Like the people from Ontario who travel to PEI because they thought it looked so pretty in Anne of Green Gables.

The bulk of the movie was filmed in Ontario. ;-)

Mickle said...

hah! that's funny.

I think this one annoyed me mostly because I love Stourhead. I took a class on 18th and 19th century English gardens the year I studied in Bristol, and I got to go visit a bunch of gardens that year as well. Stourhead was one of the most memorable, and I saw and studied a lot of gardens that year.