Thursday, July 12, 2007

Harry Potter - the Musical!

There's a reason why I hardly ever read the movie reviews in the LA Times. And that, when I do, I usually take the opposite of the critic's advice.

Aside from being a condescending snob, is Mr. Schickel unaware that the Harry Potter books are unfinished? Or was he expecting the Harry Potter movies to turn out more like the Fullmetal Alchemist anime?

I personally think that Harry Potter - the Musical would kick ass. (And I soooo....want the anime. Preferably about Mooney, Prongs, Wormtail & Padfoot.) Most fans I know would as well. And the variety of fanfiction alone disproves the idea that fans only care about cannon. The bigger issue is that cannon is the only thing we (occasionally) agree on - and that's just because there's someone to break up the fights.

Most of all, though, most Harry fans would not be happy with a movie made only by people who weren't ever able to read all of the source material. I really don't think that suggests that fans only want movie adaptations of books that are exactly like the books.

After all, if they did, Harry Potter fans would be so upset at the loss of S.P.E.W. and the like in #4 to even consider dragging themselves down to see David Yates latest interpretation.

You'd think someone who ranted about opinions not being the same as reviews would understand the difference between teenagers howling "what about the part I've loved the best since I was 12!" upon first viewing and fans being able to appreciate someone else's interpretation of the a book they like.

(That said, I'm curious if the movie versions of either The Goblet of Fire or The Order of the Phoenix make any sense to anyone that hasn't read the books.)

No comments: