Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Cast Your Votes Now!

I was thinking about adding another type of book to my Summer Reading List to round things out - make it an even two books per week rather than 7 per month.

So, should I read and review:

1) a "grown-up" book? (since I'll be reading plenty anyway)

2) a "bad" book? (c'mon, you know you want to know what the Gossip Girls series is really like and which science book for kids you should never ever buy)

3) one of my favorite's? (because I'm sure you'll all dying to know why Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is the best book for preschoolers ever - or what I think of The Hero and the Crown now that I'm an adult)

4) a "series" book? (there are so many books in both "Young Readers" and "Favorite Series" that I haven't read, it wouldn't be a bad idea to seperate the two)

5) a "baby" or "toddler" book? (I'm not quite sure there's much to say about many of these, but I should be able to find at least three titles worth discussing)

6) something else?

7) go ahead and go for 12 per month/3 per week? (reading that many should be easy - it's writing the reviews I promised that I'm not so sure about)

- feel free to suggest/request specific titles with your votes -

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Revisiting old favorites sounds like a good plan to me. It's always interesting to see what has or hasn't held up.

As for books for much younger kids, they reprinted "The Monster at the End of this Book" as a board book a couple of years ago. I'd love to hear what someone else thinks of that one.

Cheers,
Tucker

ebbye said...

Hello
from a book shop owner in Sydney! I just joined the challenge and like you have decided to challenge myself to a variety of different books.
I am challenging myself to read 3 different books a week with different genres/eras etc
I recommend a baby and a toddler book by the same author - Kaz Cooke, one is Up The Duff and the other is Kid Wrangling

Anonymous said...

Sure. I'll put in a list of suggestions, but they're all "adult" books.

Catullus and His World by T.P. Wiseman.

The Triple Helix by Richard Lewontin.

Achilles In Vietnam by Jonathan Shay.

Generation Debt by Anya Kamenetz.

The Great War and Modern Memory by Paul Fussell.

Tacitus: both his complete works and the critical commentaries by Ronald Syme.

Memoirs of My Life and Writings by Edward Gibbon.

Anonymous said...

Review Children's books, they are more fun. I recall seeing one at the store recently, although the name escapes me, about a little girl befriending a swamp monster that I thought had a terrific message.