Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Quote of the Day

"Jr. High...exists so that when you finally read Dante's Inferno, you can nod in recognition."

Libba Bray (stolen from one of her recent live journal entries)

(which reminds me that I need to shortlist A Great and Terrible Beauty again. Why? Because the stupid company I work for refuses to model the title at anything higher than zero even though we always sell at least one copy a month whenever we actually have it in stock. )

FYI - I think there is something seriously wrong with me because the knowledge that John Green, Libba Bray, Holly Black, Justine Larbalestier, David Levithan, Rachel Cohn and "thousands" of other* awesome teen fiction authors get together and have drinks every so often fills me with a feeling that ought to be reserved for thirteen-year-olds who learn that their two most favorite bands ever love to get together for jam sessions.

*A certain author's whose first name starts with S and last name starts with W is absent from this list not because he does not attend, but because I am not happy with him at the moment. We got Specials in today, and it was in hardback. I can't afford to buy the hardback at my slightly above minimum wage salary (especially after splurging on stuff at the festival this weekend), and since I already have a book checked out from work at the moment, I couldn't check Specials out. So, I spent the entire day trying not to think about it. It didn't work very well. Since I can't give him the silent treatment by not speaking to him, I'm not speaking about him instead.

4 comments:

belledame222 said...

"Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate" was my high school yearbook quote.

Mickle said...

Ok, now I'm curious. What does that mean, exactly?

John Green said...

If it makes you feel any better:

1. it is definitely not thousands. It is usually not even dozens.

2. I have never seen all those people in the same room at the same time.

3. In person, we are all nerdy. Except the women. The women are all pretty awesome, actually.

Mickle said...

A little .

I take issue with drawig a line between "nerdy" and "awesome" however.

I happen to think nerdy = awesome.

But then, that may be because I was often called one back in the day....